spacer home your portugal information source to real estate and living in portugal
spacer spacer spacer



01 Home : Home
03 Property Management Contract : Home
12 Short term Rentals : Home
16 Translations : Other services
15 Tax Returns : Home
02 About Us : Home
04 Garden Maintanence : Home
05 Swimming pool maintanence : Home
28 Long term rentals : Home
14 Taxation on Rental Income : Home
06 Electricity : Home
07 Water : Home
08 Gas : Home
09 Telephone : Home
13 Renting a car : Home
10 Multi Risk House Insurance : Home
18 Insurance staff : Home
19 Social Security staff : Home
11 Rates : Home
17 Alarm system - House protection : Home
20 Repair and Maintenance : Home
21 Borehole or Well : Home
33 Water softenors and other : Home
22 Purification system : Home
23 Central Heating : Home
24 AirCo : Home
25 Log fire or woodburning stove : Home
29 Internet & Broadband : Home
26 Satelite reception : Home
27 Cable television : Home
30 Own car : Home
31 Cleaning lady or company : Home
32 Logs : Home
34 Property Management & Administration : Home
35 Tax on Rental Income : Taxes
36 The whole picture about rentals : Home
37 License for Rentals : Home
40-E Condominium rules : Condominium
39 Medical Insurances : Insurances
39 School system in Portugal : Education
40 Car Insurance : Insurances
41 Travel Insurance : Insurances
38-E Administration & Management Fees : Management Services
52-E ECOVIA - Cycling track - : Leisure - Activities

51 Over ons : Over ons

spacer spacer spacer

email article print article37 License for Rentals


Alternatives to holiday let licensing -
Articles as appeared in Algarve Resident during month of June 2007

By: Dennis Swing-Green

Ways of keeping your habitation licence

THIS SPRING, for the third consecutive year, inspectors from Autoridade de Segurança Alimentar e Económica (ASAE) have fined agents and owners for holiday let related activities.

The licensing issue continues to generate controversy and confusion, among owners wanting to rent their properties to holidaymakers and agents wishing to serve this growing need.

Yet most people fail to grasp that the essence of the dispute lies in the type of property usage registration, rather than the actual licensing of the activity itself. The central issue in question is as follows. Is the property registered and authorised for residential (habitation) or commercial purposes (tourism)?

It should come as no surprise that in a country such as Portugal, tourist related activities are normally seen as commercial in nature, particularly when part of a tourist development. In a holiday complex with beach, golf, tennis, and swimming pools surrounded by a hotel, townhouses, apartments and villas, each of these accommodation options has an identical commercial purpose: tourism.

On the other hand, a housing development (urbanização) with a clearly stated purpose of providing living quarters for its residents may also have designated commercial areas for shops, restaurants or cafés.

Nevertheless, the dwellings of the development are clearly zoned as residential and non-permanent inhabitants, such as holidaymakers, are by no means excluded from being considered part-time residents, however short their stay might be.


For a property to be required to have a specific licence when letting to tourists, it must be considered part of a tourist development (empreendimento turístico) and deemed to be a complementary element to tourist lodging, engaged in the activity of providing tourist lodging services as defined in the legislation.

Outside of these parameters, lets to holidaymakers fall under the general renting law (Regime de Arrendamento Urbano – RAU) and follow basic norms of standard rental activities, with the notable exception that no minimum rental period is stipulated in the legislation, nor is a written contract required when lets are for less than six months.

If your letting is more commercial in nature rather than residential, a third option may be appropriate: hospedagem (guest house). In this case, you may need this property licence, which permits both private use as well as commercial tourist lets. The type of property licence is defined in local câmara legislation and will vary from township to township.

None of these three options fully address the actual activity practised by most owners, which is letting self-catering villas and apartments. Given this basic inadequacy in the legislation, it should not come as a surprise that ASAE inspectors have their own narrow reading of legislation, which often disregards the fundamental aspects of the law. It also confuses central licensing issues and the economic activity that they are allegedly trying to regulate. Therein lays the controversy.

However, if owners are guilty of other flagrant compliance violations, such as no Portuguese income tax declaration, IRS, as is sometimes the case, agents and owners may have difficulty mounting a proper defence and refuting the possible misinterpretation of the statutes.

This is the second in a four part series examining different alternatives to Holiday Let Licensing:

1) Keepin


Date Inserted: 24 June 2007
Last Updated: 23 August 2011
Have questions or comments on this article? email me


email article print article

spacer spacer
spacer spacer
| Car Rental | Info Topics | Property Management | Property Rentals | Real Estate | Real Estate 2 | Real Estate Activities | Web Design |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Ricola Algarvia Ldª. All rights reserved. Legal Notices | Privacy Policy
Protected by the copyright laws of the EU and by international treaties.