spacer home your portugal information source to real estate and living in portugal
spacer spacer spacer



01 Home : Home
03 Property Management Contract : Home
12 Short term Rentals : Home
16 Translations : Other services
15 Tax Returns : Home
02 About Us : Home
04 Garden Maintanence : Home
05 Swimming pool maintanence : Home
28 Long term rentals : Home
14 Taxation on Rental Income : Home
06 Electricity : Home
07 Water : Home
08 Gas : Home
09 Telephone : Home
13 Renting a car : Home
10 Multi Risk House Insurance : Home
18 Insurance staff : Home
19 Social Security staff : Home
11 Rates : Home
17 Alarm system - House protection : Home
20 Repair and Maintenance : Home
21 Borehole or Well : Home
33 Water softenors and other : Home
22 Purification system : Home
23 Central Heating : Home
24 AirCo : Home
25 Log fire or woodburning stove : Home
29 Internet & Broadband : Home
26 Satelite reception : Home
27 Cable television : Home
30 Own car : Home
31 Cleaning lady or company : Home
32 Logs : Home
34 Property Management & Administration : Home
35 Tax on Rental Income : Taxes
36 The whole picture about rentals : Home
37 License for Rentals : Home
40-E Condominium rules : Condominium
39 Medical Insurances : Insurances
39 School system in Portugal : Education
40 Car Insurance : Insurances
41 Travel Insurance : Insurances
38-E Administration & Management Fees : Management Services
52-E ECOVIA - Cycling track - : Leisure - Activities

51 Over ons : Over ons

spacer spacer spacer

email article print article35 Tax on Rental Income



As many of you rent out your property through our services it is maybe good to know if and what you have to declare to the Portuguese tax authorities (Finançes).

It is known know that undeclared rental income is high on the list of the Finançes. All rental income either received inside or outside Portugal but related to in Portugal situated real estate is subject to either IRS (income) tax, for property owned in your own name or IRC (corporate) tax for properties owned by an offshore property company.

Rent can be achieved from rental out your property on a long term bases with an official rental contract signed between tenant and landlord and filed with the Finançes. This so called short term rental contract means a contract with a minimum time of 5 years! In case this is all done properly the owner will have to add the income to his IRS whilst the tenant, which in this case automatically becomes a tax resident in Portugal, is entitled to a tax credit.

The other form of getting rent is for property owners to let on a short-terms weekly basis during a certain period of the year – normally the period between April and October. When such an activity is conducted as a business, the taxpayer much register as such.

If the rental price is build up of rent to the landlord including a commission for an agency the only part to be declared is the rent minus the commission, as the tax authorities do not consider commissions to an agent as a deductible expense.


In fact 3 types of expenses are considered as deductible, thereby reducing the taxable income from rents:

  1. Manutenção (maintenance)
  2. Conservação (repairs)
  3. Contribuição Autarquica (rates)

Expenses which fall in the above-mentioned categories are for example:

  • Painting of in- and exterior
  • Repairs to plumbing, electrical systems, gas.
  • Energy expenses for lighting, heating and/or Airco
  • Building insurance
  • Rates are now only considered as a deductible expenses whilst before it was a tax credit.

In case of apartments where a condominium is compulsory under Portuguese law some additional costs can also be deducted:

  • Cleaning
  • Security
  • Condominium expenses

It is obvious that these taxes only can be considered deductible if documented by proper facturas and recibos, which have to state the name and fiscal numbers (NIP or NIPC) from the taxpayer and the entity providing the goods or services. In nearly all these cases IVA (VAT) should be included.

In certain cases tax is already withheld at source in which case this is considered as a tax credit. This for example happens if both provider and owner are registered as companies.


Certain expenses are not deductible for the tax return on income:

  • Construction which increases the or alter the structure of the building
  • Installation of heating systems or Airco
  • Improvements on garden and or irrigation
  • Construction of a pool – jacuzzi

These expenses can be however later considered when properly documented as capital improvements and may enter into the calculation of the taxable base of the building for capital gains purposes when the property is sold.


Again we have to make a distinction between IRS (income) and IRC (Corporate) tax.

The IRS is determined by a table of progressive tax rates:


Date Inserted: 24 June 2007
Have questions or comments on this article? email me


email article print article

spacer spacer
spacer spacer
| Car Rental | Info Topics | Property Management | Property Rentals | Real Estate | Real Estate 2 | Real Estate Activities | Web Design |
Copyright © 2002-2017 Ricola Algarvia Ldª. All rights reserved. Legal Notices | Privacy Policy
Protected by the copyright laws of the EU and by international treaties.